A fellow beer advocate I’d met at a bottle share prior sends me a message: Hey, I remember you’d commented on a KBS check-in. I just happened onto another bottle, and I’d be happy to share it with you.
Um, yes please.
So a small tasting was setup, after each of our children were tucked into bed. I snuck out on a Wednesday night to meet Chris and Carl and split a few beers beyond KBS:
- Founders KBS (Yes, it was excellent—not as coffee-forward as I’d expected after having BCBCS recently.)
- Full Sail Black Gold 2006 (Past prime, likely, but not bad.)
- Thirsty Dog Bourbon Barrel Aged Siberian Night. (Lots of dark chocolate. Very nice.)
- Black Raven Grandfather Raven 2012 (Roast, chocolate, hop bitterness still on finish. New batch out soon.)
- Black Raven Old Birdbrain 2012 (Needed a palate cleanser beyond water before this one. Didn’t show that well.)
- Full Sail Old Boardhead 2005 (Drank this side by side with what follows. It was either helped or hindered by this—unsure which.)
- Full Sail Old Boardhead 1999 (Worst smelling beer ever? Tasted a little bit better. Could not pinpoint exact smell. Yuck.)
Chris and Carl took notes. I took pictures. I wasn’t in bed until near 11:30pm on a Wednesday night.
Thanks, Chris and Carl!